Self Portrait



Many people as myself look on the outside physical features and not so much as what is on the inside. In that case I decided to draw a picture of myself with the Mexico flag on half of my face and the America flag on my other half of my face. I chose the two flags because of my ethnicity, Mexican American. I also have words around me in the picture that represent some of the comments I get when talking about my ethnic. I wanted people to see that one shouldn’t be too quick to assume ones identify. Also wanted people to see that one doesn’t have to have certain physical features to identify as a certain race if they care for the race and its traditions. Although I identify as a Hispanic on most test forms when the option is there, I get it is hard to back up that identification. I know that for me it is hard to keep a strong base of who I am when I am not totally confident of the way I should look. I remember my brother who is in the same boat saying that it is hard with our race because we have to be more American than the Americans and more Mexican than the Mexicans. That saying sticks with me because it is very accurate, I know that when I am with my Mexican side of the family I try hard to fit in and when I am with my American side of the family I try just as hard to fit in. I try not to care about the judgement I get, but for me it is hard to ignore the judgement when it is reoccurring. I hope that my picture can make people change the way they see me and think about me. Honestly for me the hardest part is when you try to stand up for your ethnicity, but people can’t look past the outside.  

Comments

  1. Your drawing is really good, I thought it was an awesome idea how you represented your identity- Mexican American- in the image and explained what it meant to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you approached the portrait piece. You went a different route then what I have seen so far and I find it very interesting. Your follow up description gives the piece more meaning and helps give it more depth as well. Bringing up different issues and things that you face, making it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how cartoon like your drawing is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your picture gets the point across, It shows that being two ethnicity is hard. You talk about the comments people make when you say your are Mexican. Both your picture and your post show in different ways the hardship of being both American and Mexican.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you used the picture to describe how you are feeling. You wouldn't have really needed to explain it because it give you enough detail. It shows how a lot of people stereotype other's based on how they look. It also shows me that this is something that is personal to you, and i'm assuming many people ask you this. I like that you are proud showing both sides of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like all of the detail that you put into your portrait. Your flash-fiction really just adds more detail to the image but the drawing alone already explains so much. Great job with color and detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love how you chose to do this piece its totally unique and different than anything else I have seen. the way you explained why you chose to do it like this makes your picture that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your approach to the piece, in-cooperating your ethnicity into your drawing to show it helps define you. It is a really creative and unique piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment