Reflection
Reflection
Most people today don’t acknowledge the fact that they have multiple biases. Others see the biases that they hold, but don’t see how much they control them. In today’s society many events can influence how a bias is viewed. Even some biases come from the way we were raised. Biases are something that impact how we view the world and one another.
Verna Myers from the TED Talk: ‘How to overcome bias?’ emphasizes that people are in great denial of the biases they have. Myers states, “I leaned on a bias that I didn’t even know I had” when explaining her experience with a women pilot. Basically Myers is saying that even herself as a speaker of overcoming bias has a bias she didn’t even realize she had. Myers insists that we should, “stop being good people, we need real people.” In other words, Myers is saying that we need to stop denying our biases and start taking ownership for them.
I agree that we need to acknowledge our biases a point that needs emphasizing since so many people are in denial of them. For instance when I am on the road and I see a bad driver I automatically assume that the driver is female because of what I have been told. Furthermore I noticed this bias throughout my parents, but hadn’t noticed I had the same bias until later. In addition I agree that we should start accepting the biases we have and start trying to overcome them. In other words we shouldn’t be afraid of the biases we have, but try to change them in some way.
Hence I concluded that we all have biases it is just wether we chose to take acknowledge them or to keep them in denial.
Comments
Post a Comment